Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The “IT” Crowd

High School is all about who rules the school and is highest on the food chain of popularity. How many people you walk on, how many rules you break, and how many morals you chose to lose is the least of your worries. But is that what High school should be about? I thought so.

I was in the crowd that people either desired to be a part of, or who despised you because they saw you for what you really were, shallow and conceited. After many years of popularity and a thriving social life I discovered I loathed who I was, the “mean girl” in me had been thriving. In high school it seems like do or die, but as college applications approached and life after high school was a reality, I found myself with no time for family or responsibilities, my priorities were well out of line. How my friends treated others was well out of line too. By senior year the cruelty and pettiness that my friends engaged in had taken its toll on me. I slowly drifted away from my friends and the parties that once surrounded my life. What I found was even better. Rekindled friendships with what are now my 7 closest friends. All who are goal oriented, strong, independent young women with bright futures, and a head on their shoulders. Most importantly, they are good people. The kind of people who unknowingly make you the best person you can be. (word count- 247)

No comments:

Post a Comment