Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sooner Nation

The location of an athletic event defines the atmosphere surrounding the affair. In 1921 the students of Oklahoma University held a movement in order to have a football stadium built. The Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium is named after students, faculty, and other members who lost their lives fighting in WWI.
The college stadium that holds 82,112 screaming fans is an atmosphere that could turn a Texas Longhorns fan into an Oklahoma Sooners fan (well, probably not but, you get the point). Stadium games have been sold out since Coach Bob Stoops joined, and currently holds a standing record for most games won at home.
When I was a little girl I had always heard of this place where time practically stops for an OU football game but when I was 15 I attended the OU and Texas-Tech football game.  Fans walking into the game are chanting the theme song “Boomer Sooner”. Its adrenaline so high you feel as though you’re in the game, its feeling another player’s pain, its experiencing a moment so high where the next second a play can make you feel your all-time low. Oklahoma’s stadium is a place where you have a bond with complete strangers exchanging high-fives for a nice play, where everyone is untied inside this one place, you’re a family.  It’s a feeling you can never get at an away game, inside your home, watching it in a bar, and that’s something I never knew until I experienced it myself.

6 comments:

  1. "When I was a little girl I had always heard of this place where time practically stops for an OU football game but when I was 15 I attended the OU and Texas-Tech football game." You might want to revise this sentence so that it flows better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like such an experience to attend a game here. I love that something that is shared with so many people can be so "personal" at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good use of historical evidence and I like how you used a sense of community and "family" to show why this stadium matters to thousands of people every fall semester.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this blog, going to Caps games I know the feeling of walking into a place with a similar atmosphere. As an earlier comment said, the first sentence in the third paragraph could be reworded so it flows better. Other than that great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really great and an awesome place. It has importance for multiple reasons which is also really great for your argument. I like this a lot.

    ReplyDelete