Saturday, October 16, 2010

Family is Where the Heart is

Word Count: 300

At one point or another life throws you a curveball. Whether it be a breakup, a fight with a friend, or a tragedy it has or will happen to everyone. When it does it’s as if the world has fallen out from under you, you cannot catch your breath, and it stops you in a moment. Where do you go from here? How do you escape? To the people who love you unconditionally and forever. The people who you will never lose in a fight, break up with, and know more about you then any other person in the world, your family.
It was early in the morning of March 10th 2007 and 4 days shy of her 17th birthday. I was woken up gently by a tearful mother and told that my best friend had died in a drunken driving accident after a party, a party I was at but I had to leave because I had a game the next day. I cried myself back to sleep for several days without eating, playing soccer, which is a huge part of who I am, and talking to anyone. I should have been with her, could I have stopped her from getting in the car or would I have even perhaps been in the car with her? I was angry and confused and shut my whole world out and although many people let me, my family did not. They were there for me from start to finish and brought me back to life. Without them I feel as though I could have been lost forever but now, although I still mourn, I can celebrate her life and still be capable of living mine.
I believe in all that family stands for, unconditional love, irreplaceable support system, and dependable.

5 comments:

  1. Mine essay is also about family. I completely agree with your belief and you did a really good job presenting in class today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you read your essay in class, I nearly cried because it really was very touching, and I mean that in the most sincere way. Your personal experience really speaks for your belief! Family is extremely important, and for those who have the kind of families that support them the way yours did you... it's a real blessing and something that should be cherished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god, that was the most heartwarming essay I've ever heard from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story is very sad, but very well written and true. Family is a great thing to have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your essay comes with so many emotions and is really well written. I like how you talk about life giving us curveballs in general and then go into your own personal story. I think, in order to make your point, you could add examples of how your family was there for you. It would support your I believe statement better. I would also change the last sentence to - I believe in all that family stands for: unconditional love, an irreplaceable support system, and people you can always depend on.

    ReplyDelete